About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Canning

My brother in law has been wanting to learn how to can and he got it in his head to make hot pepper relish.  Since I neither eat hot peppers nor any kind of relish, I wasn't sure if I was up to the task.  But I got a few recipes on line and set up the date for this past week.  I got the jars ready and he brought the ingredients.  Joe was definitely prepared.  He even brought his own recipe!

Joe didn't realize how truly easy this whole water bath canning process actually is!!   The prep time takes the longest.  But he did all the chopping of the ingredients for the relish.  We ended up with (5) 1/2 quarts of hot pepper relish.  He said it is so good that he wants to enter it into the fair.  (I didn't taste it)

I had gone to my CSA farm and got a box of tomatoes because we were also going to make some salsa - two kinds.  One with cilantro and one without (for my sister).  He will take home 7 1/2 quarts of salsa and I kept one.  I already made a bunch for myself and I will probably make more this week too.  I still have about 45 tomatoes left (plus Joe took home about 40) from the box, so I plan on making some marinara sauce this weekend.  I think I canned sauce a very long time ago.  Most of the time, I just freeze it, so I'm going to look up a recipe to see what I need to do to can sauce.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

How nice that you have passed along your knowledge to another victim, I mean, relative. :)