About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

American Potato Salad

I am 48 years old and I can admit that I have never, ever made American potato salad.  We didn't grow up with it.  We grew up with Italian Potato Salad at every picnic and every party.  And when we were at the Cape at my Aunt's house, it was always German Potato Salad.   I was an adult before I ever tasted American Potato Salad and that was at the home of my first husband and it was bought at a deli, so it wasn't even home made! (And it was NOT good!)

On Memorial Day, I was going to a picnic and was asked to bring American Potato Salad.  Thank Goodness for the internet!

I came across quite a few recipes, and I also googled German Potato Salad, because I love that  and it has mayonnaise in it, so I figured I would do some creative co-mingling!

I have to say that I will be making this recipe again.

I am writing it down here, so that I don't lose the recipe! I also make this the day before the party because potato salad needs to absorb the liquid to get the full taste.

Potato Salad (1/2 American-1/2 German)

10 lbs  of peeled potatoes - I used white all purpose, cut into 1 inch pieces
9 hard boiled eggs
Chives - diced to about two tablespoons
Parsley - diced to about one tablespoon
Celery - 3 large stalks, cut into small pieces
Relish - 3/4 cup (German uses sweet pickle - but this worked)
Bacon - 8 strips, fully cooked
Red Onion - 1 medium chopped fine
Mayonnaise
Dijon Mustard (or whatever kind you have)
Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook the potatoes for about 25 minutes only.  Do not cook all the way as they need to remain in pieces.
In a very large bowl, combine 6 of the hard boiled eggs (reserving three eggs for later), chopped and the next six ingredients.
Add Apple Cider Vinegar, about 3/4 of a cup and stir in the bowl and let it sit for a while.

When the potatoes are drained and cool, add to the other ingredients.
I probably used about 1 cup of mustard and 1-1/2 cup of mayo and very gingerly mixed all the ingredients together.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Put in the refrigerator over night.

In the morning, you will see that it has dried up just a little bit.  Here is where I add more apple cider vinegar and more mayonnaise.  Add to your liking.  I don't usually measure too much!

Place the mixture in your serving bowl.  Cut the last three boiled eggs into slices and place (nicely) on top of the potato salad (presentation is important!)  Sprinkle with a little paprika on the top for color.

Bring to your party of choice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah YUMM Love the sound of this...!!!