About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Day

Happy New Year!

I hope you all had a wonderful day!  I spent my day cooking and cleaning!  But so thankful to be doing something that I really wanted to do!

I put five pieces of pork in the oven and it cooked over night, all night on low.  We love pulled pork and I also made homemade cole slaw with the last head of cabbage from the CSA - it was a great supper.

I cleaned out the refrigerator today - OMG, I should be embarrassed - it was SO bad!  It didn't have a lot of old food, but it was just dirty and needed to be cleaned top to bottom.....Done!

I put away the Christmas decorations on Saturday and the nativity got put away today!

Before church, I met my mom for coffee and she said she wanted to work in the back yard - it's 50 degrees in CT - ridiculously warm - and she wanted to do some things to get the garden winter ready.  So, I got there around 2:40.  By that time, her and my sister had already dug out two of the smaller fig trees and put them in the greenhouse for the winter.  I was a little late and she said the only thing she had left to do was wrap the fig trees for winter.  What?  Wrap fig trees?  Me?  This is my brother's job, but he has just been too busy!  So, since I knew that by Tuesday the 3rd of January, it would be 27 degrees, I figured I had better help!

So, I called on the Italian peasant farmer gods of old.  I have never even watched anyone wrap a tree, but between my mom and me, we figured it out.  My dad's fig trees are more like bushes - one is a white fig and the other, I'm not sure of.  So, we got out the twine, the old blankets and the tarps.  First, we wrapped up the branches tight to the center.  It took a few wraps of twine.  Next, we put on the blanket and tied that tightly around the bush with twine.  Next, we put tarp around the whole thing and tied that with twine, too.   We put a lot of rocks on the ground on top of the tarp so it wouldn't blow away.  We did two bushes and it doesn't look too bad. (one is about 6 feet, the other 5 feet tall)





So far, I have had to call on the Gods of my ancestors twice (the farmers) and both times, they have come through for me.  Since, I have decided to examine my life this year and figure out which direction I am heading for 2012, maybe more farming is in my future?

2 comments:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

It looks like you've got it figured out. They should be snug and happy for the next few months :)

There are two houses near me who have fig trees in huge "buckets". They get wrapped and put in the garage over winter. It's always nice to see them brought back out again....then I really know Spring has arrived.

Nancy said...

It's time to prune our grapevines, but it's been too warm. 60 on Thursday. Can you believe it? :)

Happy New Year, Maria.