About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Spring Foraging

With the beautiful weather we had in March and April, I was able to pick cardillions about three weeks ago and today, I was able to pick more.  They grow wild in my back yard on the side of the shed and I'm lucky that my dad noticed them about three years ago and told me what a find I had!   I have tried to look up the word "cardillion" and it is no where to be found.  I am thinking that it is a word in an Italian dialect that he (my dad) Americanized.



Cardillions are in the dandelion family.  They grow wild, but without the yellow flower.  The leave stems are a little different then regular dandelions.  You can eat them fresh in a salad with oil and vinegar, or you can cook them with oil and garlic and have it as a side dish with any meat.  This batch was boiled and will be used in my stir fry on Monday night.

No comments: