About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Saturday, June 21, 2014

The chickens have finally crossed the road

With a heavy heart, I am giving away my chickens, my coop, my feed, my bedding and fencing - Everything needed to raise hens.

After much thought, I have decided that after all these years, I am tired of getting up at dawn and cleaning coops.  I am passing the torch (and all the supplies/hens) to my brother-in-law Joe.  His triplets love chickens and they are at an age now where they can help.  Joe is getting some hens from a friend of his, plus my four hens and he will be all set to begin his little farm.  He also has almost an acre of land which backs up to property that can never be built, so the only thing he has to do is protect them from predators.  Since my fencing is about six feet high, he should be okay!

I was going to kill the hens for soup chickens and it would have been a nice addition to my freezer, but all four are still laying every day.   And if I ever need a chicken/egg fix, I just have to go about a mile away and can see them any time I want! 

It is a sad day! :(

No comments: