About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Pears and more pears and rain and crops


We had a very productive pear tree again this year.  I have made pies and 10 quarts of pear sauce so far.  I will probably be able to can a few more quarts, before the tree is bare.  

I did grape jelly for the first time this year.  It was a lot harder than I thought it would be.  I also canned peach jam, raspberry jam, and of course my violet jelly.  

Because we had such a violent winter last year, our blueberry bush (which was overwhelmingly prolific last year), did not produce one single blueberry!  My mom's blueberry bush didn't either, so I know it isn't just me!  We will see how next year's bush fares.  My raspberry bush did not do as well either, but I am blaming that on our lack of water this summer.  We are in a drought (not like CA), but down six inches for the summer and it really hurt some crops.  I'm afraid it is going to effect the foliage too.  It will probably be a very brownish yellowish fall!   


No comments: