About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Jam and cows!

I have been freezing berries for months - strawberries, wineberries and black raspberries.  But there was no room in either freezer - so today was jam day!

7 pints of strawberry jam
5 pints of black raspberry jam

I still have enough berries in the freezer for another batch of each of these, but I'll get to them when the weather gets a little cooler.

The reason that I have run out of freezer space is that I got another 1/6th of a cow.  But I wasn't expecting it!   The last time I got a 1/6th it was 93 lbs. of beef.  This particular 1/6th of a cow was 143 lbs. of beef.  I had to move things around and cook some things and obviously make jam to fit it all in!!

So, we have enough beef to last us through December, maybe January.

2 comments:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Your kitchen will surely be a busy place for the next few days....but it will be well worth the effort! Lots of jam and a supply of beef. Lucky gal!

TheYvetteRene said...

How do you get 1/6 of a cow that you weren't expecting? Do you have to pay for said 1/6 cow? How much does that cost? So many questions... so little time. LOL