About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Mystery of the Missing Eggs

For four days now, we have not been able to find our chicken eggs.  Let me first say that for a few days over a week ago, they were laying their eggs in the corner of my garden under the squash leaves.  We found seven eggs in the garden one day....

So we have taken to locking them in the large coop each day with plenty of space to lay, eat, and peck around.  We let them out at about 5 o'clock each night to graze on the grass and then lock them in the small (critter-proof) coop each night.   But we can't find the eggs.  Tonight, I am locking them in the small coop and locking them in so they can't even get food over night.  (its just for one night and it's nice and cool tonight!)  My thought is that if there is a large snake or a rat taking the eggs, they won't be able to get in.  But in all honesty, there is no sign of a rat or a large snake (and we are looking!).  So, either these very young hens have stopped laying or they are really tricking us and laying late afternoon in a place that I just can't seem to find.  Bruno and I (one of the trips) spent an hour  today searching for eggs.  It was a like an Easter Egg Hunt with no eggs, no prizes or no money!  It was no fun!   I need my eggs.....

If anyone has a clue, let me know!

No comments: