About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Friday, January 3, 2014

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and baby, it is cold out there!

It has been a while since I have been blogging!

I know I keep saying that, so I'm going to try to be better at it in 2014!! (Resolution #1)

First of all, I wish everyone a belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

We had some great holidays this year with lots of gatherings and a wedding on New Years Eve!

January is going to be extremely busy for me with all my businesses getting out 1099's and finishing up the end of the year!  But as always, I will get it done!   (Resolution #2)

Let me start by showing you how cold it is hear in CT -

The big box on my kitchen floor contains my four hens!!

This is the first time this winter that I had to take the hens into the kitchen.  It is also (I think), the first time they laid an egg in the house! It was in the single digits last night with about 5 inches of snow and tonight it will be below zero again, so they will be back in the kitchen tonight.  They seemed content all night and the dog didn't bother them.  This morning I was up in the dark, shoveling the coop and getting it ready and they went out into the snow with no issues.  The water freezes within a couple of hours, so I try to change it often!   But I'm still getting four eggs a day as of now!

2 comments:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Maria!
Glad to see you're okay in this weather! And that your hens are doing well. I'm sure they're happy to be inside where it's nice and warm.
It's so crazy out there .... remember how warm it was the weekend before Christmas?! And now .... brrrrr!
Wishing you all the best in 2014! :)

Abbi said...

We have been having weather below zero more often than not (at least it seems that way) the last couple of months. I am amazed at how well our chickens do out there. We did insulate the coop and I do have an electric light out there (but not a heat lamp) and they are doing great and laying regularly.