I had posted several weeks ago, that I would be getting some freshly hatched chicks from my sister's place of work (she is a therapeutic recreation director and hatching eggs was an activity for the residents). The chicks ended up being Sumatra's and Sumatra mixes. After studying this breed a bit, I realized that I did not want the chicks. Sumatra's are not good egg layers but worse than that, they are very good fliers. Sumatra owners recommend a chicken wire roof (covering the whole coop area) so the birds don't fly the coop.
Honestly, that is just too much work for me!
Last week, I got two Red Star pullets. Yesterday, I got three more Red Stars! I'll have five hens laying in about a month or so.
That's as good as it gets this year. And I'm happy with my decision!
My son is happy, too - he didn't have to make a brooder! HAH!
Pictures will be forthcoming once I get all the hens!
ETA: A picture that my daughter took. We have changed the fencing, though!