About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tasting The Wine

These are the little old winemakers....


My brother said, we should actually be bottling the wine on St. Joseph Day, but timing was an issue.  It takes a few hours and it was already 8:30 at night.  So, we decided to just taste the wine and save the bottling for the weekend.

 This is the premium chianti being put into a gallon jug for us to take home and here is what it looks like in a glass.  Clear, clean, delicious.
The first one we opened was the seven gallon demijohn which held the Premium Chianti.  Right off the bat, I knew it was good.  Chris (my brother) poured me a large glass, which I ended up finishing later on in the night.  It was really good and if that was the only wine that hubby I made I would have been happy.

Next we opened a second demijohn.  Unfortunately, due to the expanding in the demijohn, the labels got ruined and we had to taste test all night to figure out what we had.  But the second one was the regular chianti.  As you can tell by the color above, the regular chianti was a little darker, a little more sweeter than the premium chianti.  Great, but to me, not as great as the Premium Chianti (I guess I understand the price differentials).

The next one we opened was a Barbera.  Excellent!  It is my second favorite behind the Premium Chianti.  Great color also and very clear!

The last one was the Merlot.  This is hubby's favorite and he was very, very happy with it.  It is drier than the other wines and the color was also very clear and the flavor was just like a regular merlot.

We have four demijohns.



Three Five Gallon demijohns and one Seven Gallon Demijohns.  Chris said we need 100 small bottles for the bottling.  I think we have enough.

The last taste test was one of Chris' bottles.  These are all his:

And the barrel..............That is the vinegar barrel and it is full.  I am not sure if I'm more excited about the wine or the vinegar.  I haven't had good wine vinegar in a while!
The last taste was a Carnelian.  This is Chris' wine.  It was delicious and totally unlike anything I've ever had before.  Let me know if anyone has ever heard of Carnelian - I had never heard of it!  It was also a red wine (deep red).

Thank you, Chris, for an enjoyable evening in the wine cellar!

5 comments:

Julia said...

I want to be invited next year :)

TheYvetteRene said...

Honestly, is there anything you can't do? I have to stop responding like this. I'm turning into a stalker. So how long does it take to make the wine? I don't like wine, but I can appreciate the work that goes into making it. Do you guys sell it or what?

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

My husband makes wines but his are awful, LOL.

Pat said...

That looks like fun! I love red wine. I've not heard of Carnelian but I'd like to try it.

Nancy said...

I have everything I need to make wine -- just need the drive and expertise. Can your husband come over and make it when the grapes are ready in July? :)