About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Monday, March 19, 2012

Happy St. Joseph's Day!!

While not as famous (or infamous) as St. Patrick, St. Joseph is important to some Italians for numerous reasons.  This information is taken from www.fisheaters.com:


St. Joseph's Day is a big Feast for Italians because in the Middle Ages, God, through St. Joseph's intercessions, saved the Sicilians from a very serious drought. So in his honor, the custom is for all to wear red, in the same way that green is worn on St. Patrick's Day.  


There are feasts of food including minestrone, zeppole, pasta with breadcrumbs and (my favorite) fava beans!!



I am not a Sicilian, so the only customs that we followed were eating zeppole, having pasta with fava beans and wearing red.  However, the most important aspect of the day in our Italian home has always been the fact that we get to open the wine!  We get to taste it to see how it is aging!

I am going to my brother's home tonight to open barrels and demijohns.

I hope to have pictures and reviews of the wine tomorrow!

No comments: