About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Time

Finally, I found some time this weekend to make jam and other things.

I have been picking berries...black raspberries, red raspberries and blackberries (these have just started).  I had 10 or 12 quarts in my freezer.  Plus I had given some to friends and family.

I was able to make 6-1/2 pints of mixed berry jam and 6 pints of black raspberry jam....I still have a lot though.  I made raspberry scones too.  My first attempt at scones and they came out very good!

I made a pumpkin applesauce cake using pumpkin from last year's CSA and the applesauce that I canned last September.  I got the basic recipe from Better Homes and Gardens magazine, but I doctored it up a bit! :)

Pumpkin Applesauce Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ginger
1-1/2 cups of pumpkin (I used frozen from last summer), but they used 1 cup of canned pumpkin
1 cup of chunky applesauce, they used 1/2 cup apple juice

1-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons of milk

Method:
Grease a fluted tube pan and set aside
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Beat butter with sugar until creamy.  It may take a couple of minutes.
Add eggs one at a time.

In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and ginger.  Add to creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin and applesauce.  Mix until blended.

Turn batter into the prepared pan, bake for about 45 minutes.

After the cake was cool, I turned it out on to a platter and covered it overnight.

The next morning, mixed the powdered sugar and the milk together to form a glaze and spooned it over the cake and let it all cool again.

2 comments:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Your cake looks and sounds delicious! Kudos for heating up the kitchen in the weather we've had this week!

Nancy said...

Oh that cake looks yummy! Did I mention I'm on a diet? Mail me that cake. NOW! :)