About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Molting Hens

My ladies have been molting for about 1-1/2 months.  Egg production had taken a serious nose dive.  I was lucky to get one egg a day.  Sometimes NONE!  (but on a good day, I would get two.)

However, yesterday, I got three eggs!  I'm not sure if it was the beautiful sunshine all day, or the warmer temperatures after the snow filled weekend, but the ladies look like their feathers are growing back and have started to produce again.  I hope they can keep it up for a while longer! 

Come spring, a new generation of chicks will be heading towards a certain back yard in Derby......The lovely ladies that I have now will then be two years old and depending on their output, they may be headed for soup!  Ah, the circle of life! 

1 comment:

Zev said...

Our chickens are going through their first molt, and I'm a little concerned about how long this no-egg spell will last! Good to hear that it does come to an end eventually.