About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Pesto

With the cooler weather, it is almost time for our first frost.  I needed to get my basil in for the fall/winter.  I have been picking it and just freezing it in freezer bags to use in sauces when I need it and with the rest I made pesto.  Thank you Catie for telling me I can use walnuts!

2 cups of fresh basil
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup walnuts
3 Tablespoons garlic (I used a little extra)

Pulverized in the blender and froze it in sandwich bags (each batch makes one cup).  I made two batches of this so far and I will probably make 2 or 3 more this weekend.  My recipe said adding the parmesan cheese before you freeze it wasn't a good idea, but another recipe said it would be fine.  I didn't add the parmesan or the salt and pepper prior to freezing.  I will add it fresh when I thaw it and use it on pasta! 

Next, it's time for the parsley to be picked - Anyone need any? I have a lot!!!

1 comment:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

I see you've been very busy lately! Oh, my!

I had previously emptied all my "garden" containers except the basil and parsley. They've slowed down but it's still nice to pick a few leaves when making dinner. After this week, I'll probably harvest the rest.

I've heard the same about freezing pesto and I leave out the cheese, too.

Thanks for stopping by. It will be slow around my place for a while :)