About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Making Butter

Last week, the local Target went and became a Super Target by selling groceries inside.  They sent the whole town (I think) a coupon for a free dozen eggs (and to get you in the store).   I don't need eggs (for sure), but I had to bring something for Wednesday night dinner, so I decided to make a quiche and use the free eggs.  The way I make quiche is with heavy cream.  Target also had Organic heavy whipping cream, so I bought those two items and was on my way.  (I am getting good at shopping for only things I need!)

So, after the quiche was made I now had about two cups of heavy whipping cream left over and I remembered reading about a few people who made butter in a mason jar using heavy cream....sooooooo.

I poured the heavy cream into a Large Wide Mouth Mason Jar and put the cover on tight and proceeded to shake.
I have begun shaking it here:

 And I shook and I shook and I shook!  It took about 10 minutes to get to a semi-solid consistency:

 Once it is solid and yellow, you pour off the butter milk through a colendar.
This is how much buttermilk I got out of it.  I'm not sure how many of you have ever drunk a glass of home made buttermilk but talk about delicious!  Sweet and thick and I would have it again!!!!

Unfortunately, my camera is not too good, but the finished product was a beautiful yellow color....

 It was a full stick of butter (1/2 cup).  So I took another picture of the butter today (after I had used some for garlic bread).

It was really good.  I salted it a little.  It was fun - sort of a novelty.  If I can buy organic butter at the grocery store, I will.   But I'm glad I know how to make my own!

No comments: