About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Wine Cellar

I only got three pictures of the wine cellar (grotta) as my dad always called it (before my camera died).  My brother's grotta is pretty large, with shelves for wine everywhere.  He has last years' wine in his demijohns, plus he keeps his uncle's wine down there too.  He has a lot of wine bottled already on shelves.

This is his wine press.  It is hand cranked.  He cranks it every day and the juice of the grapes inside filters down to the pan at the bottom where it is then transferred to the barrel.
These are my brother's demijohns.  Most are filled.  There are bottles everywhere also and he knows which type of wine is in every container.
My husband's wine (to-be) is in the containers on this side - one is Merlot, one is San Giovese (white) and one is Chianti.  The other container on the floor is another friends wine and the demijohn on top is my brothers wine.  The barrel on the side is full of wine and unfortunately, you only get a partial few of the shelving units where all the previous years wine is.  My brother started making wine around 1997/1998 and still has bottles from his first year.

Once my hubby's wine is transferred to the demijohns (I'm not sure when this process happens, but I know they are doing something tomorrow), I will get more pictures and some good pictures of the wine shelves.  Did you ever hear that song "Dust on the Bottle"?  That is my brother's wine cellar.  It is an awesome place to be at this time of year.

No comments: