About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday

This Sunday, I really had no plans except to stay in the kitchen.  I had a lot of stuff to accomplish.  I was up at seven taking care of the animals and having my first cup of coffee.  I didn't have to take Nonni to church because we went Saturday night and then we went to the church supper which I will blog about later in the week.

Saturday night, after supper,  was my prep time.  I cut and marinated the beef jerky.  Beef jerky is totally new to me, so I'll post about it once I know if it is a success or fail!  I also cleaned the counters, got down the crockpot, straightened up the kitchen, brought up the canning jars from the cold cellar and just mentally prepared for Sunday!

First up on Sunday morning, is a little cleaning.  Seriously, sometimes, I don't know if I should be embarrassed by my hatred of cleaning or mad at the fact that I have no time to clean.  Either way, I never do it until I have to and that either makes me sad or angry.  With five people in six little rooms and two bathrooms (and I don't even touch the boys bathroom downstairs), the house is always a disaster.  *sigh*  Moving on......

After cleaning, crockpot applesauce with the apples I picked, was first on the agenda.  I didn't get as many apples as I had hoped, but I did end up with four quarts of applesauce (two batches) and enough apples to eat for the week.  My son is going picking again in a few weeks and he will get me more for apple pie filling!

I had a ton of beets from the CSA, so I roasted those and then peeled them and added salt and olive oil and it made a nice little salad.

I still had raspberries in the freezer from my mother in law.  I canned fourteen MORE pints AND I still have more raspberries in the freezer! HAH!  I think I'm done with raspberry jam and the rest of them that I have, I'll use for different desserts!

I had a recipe from a friend for home made soy sauce.  It's not as good as usual, but in a pinch it worked for chicken stir fry for dinner last night.

I was totally out of detergent, so I had to make five gallons of that, too.

My biggest project for Sunday was the chicken coop.  Not only was the inside pretty gross, but the outside was never cleaned up from Hurricane Irene.  The cleaning took about 1-1/2 hours with five wheelbarrows full of hay and sticks and s%#t!  The coop looks and smells wonderful now.  Those hens better appreciate it!

FYI - Beef Jerky is good, but too thick.  Will do a blog this week about it!

No comments: