About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dandelion Jelly

After last week's success with the Violet Jelly , I decided to try dandelion jelly too.  I don't have a lot of dandelion's in my yard (like I did with violets), but my brother and my dad did, so me and my daughter and my niece picked a ton of them!  We just popped the yellow heads off and then used a scissors to cut off the green part in the back of the flower.  All you use is the yellow head.  You make this jelly the same way as the violet jelly....stuffing the heads into a mason jar, pouring boiling water over it and letting it sit overnight.  Strain the yellow infused water in the morning and make the jelly with pectin, lemon juice and sugar.

The dandelion jelly came out good, (the right color, the right texture (after two tries)) but the Violet jelly was definitely a winner in the spring time jelly category! 

If you would like a sample of either, please let me know.

Next up.....summer jams!  I think strawberry will be first!  Catie, are you ready?

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Yay for you Maria! Sounds like a great project. :)

Julia said...

I want to try the violet jelly....please :)

Catie said...

I'm ready to go for the summer jam season!!!