About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Foraging

So far, I have picked cardillio's three times(I have no idea what the actual name of this type of dandelion really is, but that is what we call it in our dialect!).  It is a dandelion that grows with no actual yellow flower.  We eat them in salad, or cook them for greens!  Delicious!

The first two times, I made them with olive oil, onions, garlic and salt and pepper.  Boiled the cardillio's quickly, and then sautéed them in the above ingredients.  This time, I boiled them quickly and threw them in the soup (like an escarole)!

My brother is the mushroom forager.  He has become quite adept at this as it really is an art.  He brought me a garden giant.



I wish I had taken a picture of the stem before I had cut it off the and chopped it up!  I sauteed two onions in olive oil, washed the mushroom good (slugs in the gills - yuck!) and then fried it up. The next time we have steak, the mushroom and onions are all set. 

1 comment:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Wow I spend a lot of time in our bush we have 200 acres and a lot of forest. I am not brave enough to try mushrooms.I am always afraid of going away. I assume the worms and slugs eat it it is edible. I love Puffballs. B