About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Three Bean Chicken Chili

I made chili for the first time in my life last week.  I didn't grow up with it and it was never something that I really ate because of the meat...

But I found a recipe that I just love and the whole family loves it too.  As a matter of fact - the next time, I have to double the recipe.  As I have said before, I am not good with measurements.  I am a cook who "eyes" everything so I apologize in advance for not having all the proper measurements - but I do have the correct ingredients that I used!!

Olive Oil
2 onions, chopped

4 Tablespoons garlic, chopped
2 peppers, chopped - I used one red and one green

1 Can Black Beans, drained
1 Can Pinto Beans, drained
1 Can Kidney Beans, drained (or white beans or whatever you have)
2-3 cups of cooked chicken (I had cooked a whole organic chicken and picked it clean)
2-3 Tablespoons of tomato paste (or chunky tomatoes - use what you like or what you have)
Water
chili powder
garlic salt
red pepper flakes
hot sauce

Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until soft and the onions are almost translucent.  Add the chopped peppers and cook them for about five minutes.  Add the three cans of beans and the chicken.  Stir until combined and add water (maybe two cups) and the tomato paste.  Stir it up and cook on low to medium.  I usually keep stirring and add water if I think it is needed.  Cook for about 15 minutes adding water as needed.  The chicken breaks apart nicely (almost like a pulled pork).

Add seasoning to taste.  I only add a little because I don't like spicy chili and the kids add in more on their plates when they eat.  Cook in the flavors for about 5-10 more minutes and dinner is served.  It only takes about 40 minutes or so.

No comments: