About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bean and Kale Soup

Kale.....I've done a few things with it (Kale Chips, Kale greens, Kale salad).  But now I've got more Kale and I need to make something. 

So, I went on the internet and this is what I found.  But I changed it up a bit......

At least a quarter cup of olive oil - maybe a little more. 
I used four cloves of garlic (large) (CSA)
1 Large onion (CSA)
3 Cups of chopped kale (CSA)
2 -1/2 quarts of vegetable broth (I make my own - I save the water from cooked veggies and freeze it)
2 cans of beans - cannellini
Two very large, very ripe tomatoes (CSA)
2 tsps basil, parsley, garlic powder
Salt and pepper.

In a soup pot, put oil and garlic and onion.  Saute until soft.
Add Kale and continue to saute. 
Add the vegetable broth, 2 cups of beans and all the rest of the ingredients. 
Simmer for about 1/2 hour (they said 5 minutes??)
I took the rest of the beans and put them in a large mortar and pestle and smashed them into a paste added that to the soup to thicken.  The recipe says to simmer for 15 minutes more.  I let mine cook for 1-1/2 hours more. 

It was delicious!!!!!! 

One quart plus two bowls for me.
One quart to my dad.
One quart to my vegetarian niece!!!

2 comments:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

This looks so hearty, I know I'll be trying it soon. And sending half the batch to my Mom. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I'm glad you tried the salsa. I only put a few tablespoons of fresh lime juice, I guess it's a matter of preference. My youngest son would dig right in to fresh salsa. Of course, so would I ;)

Maria said...

You are going to love the soup!