About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Egg and Tomato Sandwiches

This is my grandmother's recipe.  It is something I love to eat.  My dad used to have to take these sandwiches to school with him (circa 1945) and he wasn't fond of them then.  But they are so delicious.  You can eat them hot, but they are so much better COLD.  When I was a little girl, my Nonni Carloni would bring egg and tomato sandwiches in a cooler to the beach for lunch.....Good, good memories!

Please note, I do not measure most of the time.  All of my recipes are either from memory or just by sight.  But these are good gauges......

I use a cast iron frying pan, but whatever kind of frying pan you want:

A little olive oil in the pan and around the sides to start.

Chop up a whole medium sized tomato (squeeze out the extra juice), you want mostly the meat of the tomato. (CSA)
Chop up about 1/2 of a medium sized onion. (CSA)

Put these both in the oil and cook them up.  Use a LOW flame/temp and let them really saute for a while.  If you have to add a little more oil, so be it.  This may take 10 minutes.

Scramble about 8-10 eggs (my own or CSA) in a separate bowl, a little bit of milk and salt and pepper.  (just like you would make scrambled eggs). 

When the tomato/onion mixture is done (very soft and sauteed), pour in the eggs and scramble them up.

When they are done, just let them sit/set.

Put in the fridge until cool or else enjoy them for breakfast lunch or dinner.  Serve on homemade white bread (if you bake it), otherwise whatever you have, but in all honesty, this does not taste as divine on whole wheat as it does on white bread.  I think that is because my Nonni served eggs and tomato sandwiches on white bread!  :)

No comments: