About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Chickens in the Kitchen

And I don't mean in the fridge or in the oven!!!!

We just brought the hens into the kitchen.  They are in large cardboard boxes so with plenty of fresh hay on the bottom so they can't get out and walk around.  Temperatures are going below zero tonight.  I believe it will be -2 tonight and possibly colder tomorrow night!  There is no path through all the snow to the shed (where I would prefer to keep them!).  So, they will be in the kitchen each evening for a few nights until these temperatures start to warm up a little bit.....God Bless my husband and kids because they don't care if there are chickens in the kitchen....but I think the family would prefer them in a pot on the stove or in the oven!!!!  Oh well....

3 comments:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Wise choice, or you could have had chicken popsicles this morning! I'm sure your birds are confused right now, but happy to be warm.

This feels like the CT winters that our parents/grandparents lived through. I have photographs of someone shoveling in the really deep snow.

Here's to hoping it turns around and warms up a bit!

Nancy said...

Where are the photos of this kitchen coop? I think we would all like to see that. :)

With two dogs and two cats in the house, our chickens have a better chance fighting the cold.

Maria said...

Nancy - I posted pictures of our regular coop and tonight, once the hens are back in the house (negative numbers again tonight), I'll take pictures of them in their boxes....

4Bushel - We have some of the grass shoveled for the hens so they can scratch around, but we never did a path after the fence line to the shed. And I bought a roof rake for the first time ever. With this amount of snow and these cold temps, we needed one and NO ONE around here had one. You are right - my dad says he remembers these types of winters all the time when he was a kid. I only remember ONE winter like this!