About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Monday, January 10, 2011

Hens on the Mend

We spent the weekend integrating the hens a little better. We kept some in the coop and some in a box (shelter) outside the coop, then we switched it up, then we let them all free range together.  My hubby stood outside for hours (literally), with stick in hand and showed who was top of the line pecking order (him!). 

I think we have finally got them integrated where, although, they don't hang out together, they won't peck each other to death! 

The Silver Wyandotte's head is healing very nicely. 

It is partially my fault that one of my hens died.  I should have known better. I have been integrating hens for a long time and usually there is a considerable amount of flapping of wings, pecking, and showing who is boss.  I have never had such an aggressive hen as the one I got from my dad.  I saw this hen every day over at his home for the past 10 months and had never seen aggression in it.  But it just didn't take too kindly to a silver hen (it looked different) and to a weak hen (the weakest link) and survivor of the fittest obviously took over.

So we kept them all in two separate boxes last night - it was about 12 degrees and I put them all out this morning to free range at 6:30 - in the dark.  And there was not one squawk!

I am praying for the peace to continue!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hello Maria! Wanted to stop by and thank you for commenting and following my blog. It looks as if we at least have chickens in common.

Sorry about your hens not getting along. It's unfortunate, but they do what they do -- despite our best efforts.

I'm glad you found me and I, you.

Have a great evening and I hope your chickies behave themselves!