About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Update on the Hen House

The two hens that we took from my dad are the top of the line pecking order....and for some reason, they are typical "MEAN GIRLS" and have decided to hurt two of my three hens.  One of mine, the silver laced wyandotte, was bleeding from the head.  They were pecking (picking) on her quite badly while we were at work yesterday.  Another of my hens cannot walk good, we thought she must have done something to her foot, to avoid being pecked by the mean girls.  However, on closer inspection, they pecked at her eye and she can not see, so her foot is fine.  She cannot walk good, because she can't see where she is going!!!  And the last of my hens, gets along famously with the new girls....I can't figure it out.  We kept the two hurt hens in the house last night (they have a special box). 

As of now, we have separated the two hens who are hurt.  I put them outside this morning and they can all see each other and be with each other through the chicken wire. 

But I don't know what is going to happen once the snow flies tomorrow. 

I really don't need this aggravation, but I am getting four to five eggs a day...so I guess I will deal with it!!! :)

1 comment:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Amazing how fierce they can be, to hurt other hens! I don't envy you having to deal with this during the winter. Hope it works out well.