About Me

My photo
Full Time Mom, Wife, Work, Life - Mom to three children (adults), two are college graduates and now own their own homes, and the youngest is in college in NC; wife to Thomas; Work - one full time and multiple part time jobs; Life - whatever you can throw at me....

Friday, August 26, 2011

Preparedness

Hurricane Irene.

We haven't had to prepare for something like this in a while....sure we have had our share of blizzards, but hurricanes are few and far between, especially direct hits!

People who had parties scheduled for Sunday have cancelled.  I waited in gas lines three and four deep at 6:50 this morning for gas (usually at that time of the morning, it's me and the attendent!).  All five cars will be filled with gas by the end of the day today (yes, we have five cars for five drivers in this family...) Hubby is getting an extra propane tank today and more water.  Then we will fill up all vessels with water....just in case.  Irene is NOT Katrina.  But we are battening down the hatches just in case.

Saturday will be spent putting away lawn furniture and umbrellas and anything that isn't tied down.  We are about ten miles inland, I would guess, and live on top of a hill.   Extra batteries for the radio have been bought and I already had batteries for the flashlights and a ton of candles.  I have been told as long as the door stays shut, the food in the freezer will last three days!  We have a full cold cellar already, so food is not an issue.

Here's hoping that I don't need ANY of these things!


I'm mostly worried about wind damage and extended power outages.  


C'mon Irene.....

No comments: